While working with QuickBooks software, you may at some point in time want to transfer the software from one system to another. If the user is running a US version of a single-user QuickBooks desktop, the migrator tool can effortlessly migrate QuickBooks software from an old PC to a new PC with a maximum of three files.
If you want to do so, you should implement the following procedures to reinstall or move the QuickBooks desktop from one system to another. So, keep reading this segment until the end.
Also read: Fix USB Slow Data Transfer Speed
Basic prerequisites for transferring QuickBooks from an old PC to a New PC
Before you begin the process of transferring QuickBooks to a new computer, there are a few things to consider:
- You must have a reliable internet connection on the system where you wish to install QuickBooks Desktop because you must register the software after it is installed.
- Before transferring QuickBooks to a new computer, keep the License and Product Registration details ready.
- When transferring your company file from your old computer to your new computer, you’ll need an external storage device.
- Don’t forget to uninstall QuickBooks Desktop on the original PC.
- When moving QuickBooks to a new computer, always make a backup of your company file.
- You may also need a QuickBooks Desktop installation disc or an external storage device with the setup file.
Steps to Importing QuickBooks desktop to new computer
You can transfer the files either manually or by using the Migrator tool.
Move QuickBooks to New Computer using QuickBooks Migrator tool
Up to three company files can be copied on a USB flash drive by using the Migrator tool. The exact procedure for using the tool to migrate QuickBooks to a new computer is provided below.
Step 1: Steps to Perform On the old PC
- Open QuickBooks and choose ‘File’ from the ‘File’
- Afterward, hit on ‘Utilities.’
- Subsequently, choose ‘move QuickBooks to a Different Computer.’
- After that, hit on ‘I am Ready.‘
- You must also create a one-time password.
- Finally, choose the USB flash drive you’ll use during the transfer process by following the directions on your screen. Then wait until you’ve copied all of your company files.
Step 2: Steps to Perform on the New PC
After you’ve finished transferring QuickBooks data from the old computer to the new one, you’ll need to register QuickBooks on the new one. You must also insert the flash disc that you used to copy the data previously. You can also transfer QuickBooks to a new computer by following the instructions listed below.
- First and foremost, insert the USB flash drive. Due to Windows security restrictions, the migration tool will not launch automatically.
- Open the flash drive to access the files on it. Afterward, double-click on ‘Move QuickBooks.bat file’ to start the migrator.
- Enter the password you created previously when prompted. Subsequently, choose ‘Let’s go.’
- Wait for the transfer process to be completed by the Migrator Tool. However, depending on the size of your company file and the speed of your system and internet, the time may vary.
- When you’re finished, the migrator utility will immediately delete the QuickBooks files from your USB flash drive. The files, however, will remain on the old PC. However, we recommend that you alter the names of the files on the old PC to avoid any confusion caused by similar names.
Install QuickBooks to Another PC Manually
You may not want to use the QuickBooks Migrator Tool to migrate QuickBooks to a new system for a variety of reasons. If that’s the case, you can still manually transfer QuickBooks Desktop to another computer. You must, however, register the QuickBooks software before moving your QuickBooks data. To do so, follow the steps outlined below:
- Keep your product and license details at your disposal.
- Uninstall the existing QuickBooks application before attempting to reinstall it.
- On the workstation where you wish to install QuickBooks Desktop, download the installation files or insert the CD.
- Finally, install QuickBooks Desktop as you normally would.
Items that get copied when reinstalling QuickBooks Desktop to another system
You might be wondering what data is transferred when you move QuickBooks to a new computer. If that’s the case, you should be aware that all of the data required to run QuickBooks Desktop on your new computer is duplicated. Below are mentioned some of the essential data that gets copied:
- Information regarding QuickBooks Desktop (including the version).
- Recent company files: up to three company files, including sample files, that you opened on the old system.
- Complementary files, custom templates, and forms
- Letters and templates for QuickBooks
- Memorized and scheduled reports
- Attachments to the local area
- Printer Configuration (PrintEng.ini, wpr.ini, and QBPrint.qbp)
- Designer of financial statements (FSD clients)
- Designer of financial statements (FSD data)
- Statement writer (for QuickBooks Accountant)
- Cash Flow Projector (.cfp)
- Business Planner (.bpw)
- Loan Manager (.lmr)
- Cash Flow Projector (.cfp) (for QuickBooks Enterprise)
Items that are not copied via the QuickBooks Migrator Tool
For security concerns, certain configurations and protocols are not immediately copied when you transfer QuickBooks to a new computer. To assist you in being aware of all of these, go through the list of all relevant items below:
- Manual backups: You won’t be able to duplicate any manual backups made previously.
- Older Company Files: QuickBooks only copies the three most recently opened company files. As a result, any company file that you haven’t accessed will not be transferred. As a result, you’ll need to transfer or restore these files from Intuit Data Protect
- Intuit Data Protect: You must first remove it on the old PC, then sign-in on the new PC and proceed with the setup. The earlier backups, on the other hand, are still available.
- Payroll & payment setup: If you used your previous computer to set up payroll or payment services, sign in again on the new computer to ensure that your data is protected.
- Multi-user setup: If you’re using QuickBooks Desktop in a multi-user arrangement, you won’t be able to copy the configuration to your new computer.
We are hopeful that this piece of writing provided you with sufficient knowledge regarding the steps to Move or reinstall QuickBooks Desktop to another computer. If you face any issues while implementing the steps given in this article, make sure to contact our QuickBooks desktop support team via the helpline i.e., 1-800-761-1787 or live chat option available on our website.